There is no substitute for experience.
About Us
C&A Friedlander Attorneys. traces its roots to the establishment of the firm Friedlander & Du Toit in Cape Town in 1899. After more than 100 years of successful practice and service to the community, C&A Friedlander Attorneys, with its mixture of strong traditionalism blended with youthful innovation, comprises a dynamic practice offering a wide range of specialist legal services, and is committed to remaining at the forefront of legal developments. The practice has more than twenty qualified professionals backed by a well-established infrastructure of support staff, administration and systems. We believe that the size of our firm is a major advantage, being large enough to render efficient and reliable services but at the same time being small enough to provide attention to detail and personal and dedicated service.

C&A Friedlander Attorneys has built a powerful talent resource covering a wide range of legal services. The focus of the firm is on the client and it is our hope that any contact with our people will reflect our dedication to service and friendliness. The firm provides expertise and experience in almost the entire spectrum of all social, commercial and industrial activities, by specialising in major areas of law.
Charles Friedlander

Charles was born in Middelburg in the Cape Colony, in 1878. He completed his school career in the Cape and then left for Europe where he furthered his education at the universities of Berlin, Leyden and Oxford. He started his career in the Transvaal, commencing his articles on 1st January 1895 (his Principal being Maximilian Gumpert). Having completed his articles he returned to Cape Town where he was admitted as an attorney in the Supreme Court of the Colony of the Cape of Good Hope in 1898, following which he commenced business as a Solicitor and Notary Public. He maintained strong ties with the Transvaal and was appointed in the Cape Colony as a Commissioner of the High Court of the Transvaal in the Cape Colony. He founded the firm Friedlander and Du Toit in association with Andreas du Toit, in 1899. In 1904 Charles Friedlander was elected to the Cape Town City Council, where he served as a member of the Finance Committee and the Streets Committee. He was a Justice of the Peace, and a Fellow of both the Royal Geographical Society and Royal Colonial Institute. He also served on the executive committees of several Jewish organisations in Cape Town. Charles left South Africa in 1909 and went to London for admission as a barrister of the Middle Temple. He was later appointed the first Attorney General for South West Africa (now Namibia) but he sadly died during the 1918 flu epidemic before he could take up this position.
Andreas Francois du Toit

Andreas was born in Graaff Reinet and started his career as a teacher. He later qualified as an attorney and settled in Cape Town where he co-founded the firm Friedlander and Du Toit with Charles Friedlander in 1899. In Cape Town he served on various public, social and religious bodies. He was, amongst others, a member of the the old Green Point and Sea Point Municipal Council and the Cape Divisional Council. He also served as an elder on the church council of the Groote Kerk. In about 1906 he left Friedlander and Du Toit to set up his own practice in Porterville. Friedlander and Du Toit continued business as C&A Friedlander Attorneys, with brothers Charles and Alfred Friedlander as directors.
Alfred Friedlander

Alfred was born in 1881 in Middelburg, Cape Colony. He was educated in Cape Town and was admitted as an attorney in 1902, having completed his articles with Friedlander and Du Toit where Charles Friedlander was his Principal. He later co-directed the firm C&A Friedlander Attorneys with his brother Charles. He was admitted as a conveyancer in 1912. Alfred was a member of the Wynberg Town Council from 1921 to 1923 and was elected to the Cape Provincial Council in 1930. He was also elected to the Senate. He was an executive member and sometime president of the Cape Town Hebrew Congregation, and served on the Cape Council of the South African Jewish Board of Deputies.
Arthur J Friedlander

Arthur was admitted as an attorney on 3rd March 1908 and as a notary on 25th August 1908. He joined the firm in 1915. At his own request his name was removed from the roll of attorneys on 22nd January 1920, following which he became an advocate.
Sid Berman

Sid joined the firm in 1927 and became a partner in 1932. He helped build the firm’s name and reputation until his retirement as a partner in 1978. He continued his association with the firm, however.
Ian Friedlander

Ian was born in 1912. He did articles at C&A Friedlander Attorneys and was involved in the start-up of the Claremont office. He then left for the war and died in harness.
Richard Martin (Dick) Friedlander

Richard grew up in the Wynberg/Kenilworth area and attended Wynberg Boys Junior and High schools. He was later chairman of its Board of Governors. His studies at the University of Cape Town were interrupted by the war but he returned to obtain his LLB in 1947. He then studied at the Middle Temple in London before returning to Cape Town to complete his articles, joining C&A Friedlander Attorneys, the firm founded by his father in 1899. Dick started his political life with the United Party and in 1958 he was elected a United Party member of the Provincial Council. In 1962 he became a city councillor, a position he held until retiring from public life in 1994. In the early 1970’s he was the Mayor of Cape Town for two years and was later the chairman of the City’s Executive Committee. His lifelong dedication to city politics earned him the nickname “Mr. Cape Town”. He died at his Kenilworth home on the 8th of February 2007, at the age of 84.