C&A Friedlander provides financial support in terms of bursary funding to deserving students studying towards a law degree and who meet our requirements to become successful lawyers with us in the future.
Please ensure that you meet our minimum requirements before applying:
- South African citizen
- Studying towards a law degree (undergraduate or postgraduate)
- Studying full time at a University in South Africa
- Sound academic record
- Proven financial need
- Preference will be given to applicants from historically disadvantaged backgrounds
- The bursary is awarded for payment towards the recipient’s tuition fees only.
- Successful candidates will be required to complete their articles with us after they have obtained their degree and may also be required to participate in our holiday work programme.
- EXCO will in each case determine the amount of a bursary.
- Applicants will be advised of the outcome of their applications as soon as possible after the closing date. EXCO will not furnish reasons for the grant or refusal of any application. No enquiry in this regard will be entertained, and no correspondence will be entered into in connection therewith.
- A person to whom a bursary is awarded must, within 7 (seven) days after the date of the letter in which he/she is advised of the grant of the bursary, accept or decline the bursary, failing which the award will automatically lapse.
- The holder of a bursary must, within 1 (one) month after the expiry of each year of study, submit to EXCO an official transcript of his/her academic record. Where a bursary has been granted for two years, EXCO will be entitled to revoke such bursary with respect to the second year if results submitted at the end of the first year are unsatisfactory.
- EXCO reserves the right to cancel any bursary in the event of:-
- the recipient failing to comply with any of the above bursary conditions;
- the recipient conducting himself/herself in a manner which, in the opinion of EXCO, makes him/her an unworthy recipient;
- the recipient, in the opinion of EXCO, misuses the bursary in any way.
HOW TO APPLY FOR THE BURSARY
- ID document/ drivers licence (certified copy)
- Matric certificates (certified copy)
- Full University academic record/ transcript (where applicable)
- Covering letter (containing information as to why you deserve to be awarded a bursary and any other information relevant to your application)
- Curriculum Vitae
1 September of each year.