C&A Friedlander Attorneys

Requirements for minors travelling internationally

HOW WILL YOUR MINOR CHILD BE TRAVELLING? CHECKLIST OF ITEMS YOU WILL NEED (IN ORDER FOR YOUR CHILD TO BE PERMITTED TO TRAVEL INTERNATIONALLY) Child will be accompanied by both parents[1] □  The child must have a valid passport; and □  The child must have a valid visa (if required); and □  Unabridged birth certificate […]

Make sure your marriage contract is right for you

If you are planning on getting married, don’t let romance get in the way of ensuring your marriage contract is everything you want it to be. If you don’t draw up an antenuptial contract, then under South African Law your marriage is regarded as being in community of property. This means that both partners hold […]

Things to think about before you say “I do” abroad

Getting married abroad has its attractions… But before you say ‘I do’ take a moment to consider the legal consequences of getting married outside South Africa. Although marriage symbolises many things, it is fundamentally a legal act concluded by two people when they express the will to enter into a marriage union. As with any […]


In terms of Section 5 (3) (a) of the South African Schools Act No 84 of 1996 no learner may be refused admission to a public school on the grounds that his or her parents is unable to pay or has not paid the school fees as determined by the Governing Body. However, this Act […]


The Family Advocate has many duties but in the context of Divorce Law, they are usually consulted to ensure that all Parenting Plans and divorce Consent Papers are in the best interests of any minor children involved. The public can, however, always have access to the Family Advocate and it is important to note that […]

What happens to my bank accounts when I die?

The Administration of Estates Act determines that all bank accounts in the name of the deceased should be frozen and closed eventually, therefore it is extremely important that you make provision for your loved ones, so that they will have cash in hand when you pass away. Usually the accounts are frozen immediately after word […]

The ABC of the adoption of children

Section 229 of the Children’s Act states that the purpose of the adoption procedure is to protect and nurture children in a safe, healthy environment with positive support, and to promote the goals of permanency planning by connecting children to other safe and nurturing family relationships intended to last a lifetime. When can a child […]


What can you do to enforce a maintenance order against a person who is responsible for paying maintenance, but fails to do so or is paying too little? When someone fails to pay maintenance in terms of a maintenance order you have the option of lodging a complaint against them with the Maintenance officer, stating […]

How to change your marital status to another form of marriage contract

Section 21(1) of the Matrimonial Property Act No 88 of 1984 provides that a husband and wife may apply jointly to court for leave to change the matrimonial property system which applies to their marriage. Requirements The decision in Lourens et Uxor 1986(2) SA 291 (C) sets out guidelines that the courts follow with regard […]